Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Holistic Collect

This week's collect had been my favorite Lenten collect from last year. One of my housemates didn't like it for some reason that I don't recall right now, but I remember being comforted by the holistic plea for God's help: not just physically as if the practical is all that matters, and not just spiritually as if the body does not matter at all. Last year that same housemate succeeded in a sneaky scheme to teach me that my body did need sleep, and in the year that has passed since I last heard this prayer I have learned my dire need to take better care of my soul. Hopefully I am more in the position to take this request before my Heavenly Father, and more in the position to receive his answering of this prayer.

Third Sunday in Lent

Almighty God, you know that we have no power in ourselves to help ourselves: Keep us both outwardly in our bodies and inwardly in our souls, that we may be defended from all adversities which may happen to the body, and from all evil thoughts which may assault and hurt the soul; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


No comments: