Tuesday, January 27, 2009

If it's good enough for Plutonians...

Well, I'm doing it again... posting a link to someone else's blog that I "heard" something from today. Twice in one week!

I've had a number of recent conversations about how God works (or doesn't work) in the world, and about knowing God's will. Does God listen to prayer? Is God really as micro-managing as we make him out to be? What does God want me to do? What if I make the wrong decision?

God's agency is a hard thing to wrap one's mind around, especially in the middle of pain or confusion. I like little 4-year-old Calvin's conclusion at the end of his lunch conversation with his mom about God's relationship with the Plutonians (the residents of the planet, or dwarf-planet, Pluto). I think both God's agency in the world and his will for my life are well summed up in his conclusion: "His plan is to turn the bad guys into good guys." It is coming slowly in this stubborn heart of mine, but it is coming. Maybe one day I will look back at this foibling drama that is my life and see something beautiful. In that day, I will not question God's agency in the world.

"He can turn the bad guys into good guys with just his voice. He must have a really powerful voice to be able to do that. But he won't ever turn good guys into bad guys."

Amen. Come Lord Jesus!

No comments: